Injury from Falling Objects
Workers are often at risk of injury in falling object accidents, this is when heavy objects are displaced and fall from above with the potential to cause serious injury. Falling object accidents occur due to a lack of communication that prevents workers from being warned when work is going on overhead, when loads are being moved or secured improperly or when protective head gear is not worn.
Causes of Falling Object Injuries
- Objects falling from construction scaffolding and platforms.
- Objects falling from a load that is being lifted, carried or lowered.
- Dropped hand tools and equipment being used on a higher level.
- Loose boxes or other objects that get displaced and fall off from stacked merchandise overhead.
- Falling objects dropped by workers at a higher level.
- Workers are not provided with adequate personal safety equipment that can protect them from falling objects.
- Inadequate signage warning about work going on overhead.
- Loads being lifted or carried overhead may not secured properly, leading to objects getting dislodged and falling.
Prevention of Accidents from Falling Objects
- Any loads that must be lifted to a high position must be secured properly with strong restraints to prevent them from falling.
- If a load is placed on a construction scaffold, there must be secured guardrails to prevent objects from falling.
- Workers must be discouraged from lifting loads or lowering them over other workers' heads.
- Employers must cordon off areas where heavy load lifting and lowering activities are underway.
- All precautions must be taken to prevent materials from falling from a platform while they are being stacked.
- When any overhead work is going on, workers below must be given sufficient warning in the form of signs or barricades.
- Any tools and materials that are used in a high position must be secured to prevent them from falling on workers below.
- Canopies or nets must be used to catch any falling objects.
- Workers must be provided protective equipment like hardhats to protect them from injuries caused by falling objects. Any protective hats must be appropriate to the danger of the work situation.
- Guardrails and toe boards must be erected along platform edges.
Injured by a falling object? Call us today!
There is nothing that is quite as serious as suffering a work-related injuries. If you are looking into filing a
compensation claim for an injury sustained on an industrial facility, it is important that you do not attempt to take on your case alone. At Arnold & Itkin, LLP, we know what you are facing and we are prepared to help you fight for maximum monetary compensation that you deserve. By working with our firm, you will be able to be confident knowing that you will have an advocate on your side that is deeply interested in your case and prepared to help you go the distance for you. Give an
industrial injury lawyer from our legal team a call to learn more about how we can help defend you.
Do not hesitate to contact an industrial accident lawyer from our firm if you were victimized in an accident involving a falling object.