Weeks after an explosion caused severe burns and injuries to an Illinois
construction worker, the man passed away while being cared for in the
hospital. The injured worker died on Friday in the burn unit of a local
St. Louis hospital, Mercy Hospital. He was receiving treatment for his
burns, which occurred after he was caught in a gas explosion on the job.
Ongoing Investigations Into the Exposion
The explosion occurred in Maryville, Illinois on April 6.
The construction workers, belonging to Keller Construction, were excavating
part of the site that will be turned into the Villas at Nottingham. The
crew accidentally hit a 10-inch gas line, triggering a dangerous and massive
explosion. A Maryville police officer recalls seeing the man come out
of the fire as a dark figure. He wasn’t on fire but did have smoke
coming off of him.
OSHA has opened an investigation into the explosion and will continue their
efforts to uncover all the details of the accident. They will be working
closely with families to ensure they are aware of their rights and processes
involved in such an accident.
OSHA will have up to six months to determine whether any safety regulation
violations or negligence occurred.
Despite Optimism for Recovery, Worker Dies in Hospital
While officials had initially reported that the 44-year-old construction
worker would recover from the significant burns to his body, the man did
not make that expected recovery.
He had third-degree burns covering 70 percent of his body; however, he
did not have any damage to his lungs from the accident, making a potential
recovery much more promising. First-responders also reported that he was
able to talk, walk around, and climb into the ambulance on his own. The
worker even underwent surgery just around a week ago. His passing came
as a shock to many.
The man is survived by his wife and two children.